Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Say What?

I married fairly late in life and had not been around a lot of children. The woman I married had two children by a previous marriage. My stepdaughter asked me what a word meant. I thought I did a pretty good job defining it for her, but I noticed that my wife was looking at me with a furrowed brow.

“Oh, that did a lot of good,” she said.

“What?”

“Honey, you just used three other words she does not understand.”

“Oh, shit. I didn’t think about that.”

“Unfortunately ‘shit’ is something she does understand, but I do not want her repeating it.”

I smiled. “You mean verbally.”

“Thank you so much for clarifying that for me.”

Ignoring her sarcastic tone of voice I said your welcome. I considered the exchange amusing, whereas my wife was thinking of the social consequences of using profanity around our children.

The words we know best are the ones we learn early in life. Profanity is something we pick up very quickly. The reason for this is that those words are emphatic and people make a fuss over them. If your father accidentally hits his thumb with a hammer, he is not going to yell “Oh, Fudge!” Furthermore, you are going to remember what he did yell, and you are going to make good use of those words when you stub your toe. There is nothing like the angelic face of a three year old shouting “Oh, Fuck!” People are not going blame your three year old for doing this; they are going to blame you. After all a three year old does not know what the word means or the rules that discourage its usage even when a child’s emotions indicate that the word is appropriate. I can understand a child’s confusion over this. We encourage our children to learn as much of the language as possible, but we also reserve the use of certain words for adults. We trust, perhaps naively, that adults will know when and where the use of those words is acceptable.

Nobody makes better use of profanity than the military does. In battle an army always seeks the high ground. In language it always seeks the low ground. It is important for everyone to understand what is being said and everyone understands profanity. Ordinary soldiers will often come up with their own descriptions for things, and the army is smart enough to let them do this. Since GI’s call chipped beef on toast “shit on a shingle” the army is content to use that description regardless of how unappealing it is. You can also bet that if a mess hall serving that dish catches on fire some GI will yell: “My God, they’re using real shingles!”

As I stated in a novel I wrote about the Civil War, profanity is an emotional prophylactic that protects a soldier’s mental health. The only person in the army who messes up is the chaplain; everyone else fucks up. And there is a whole lot of fucking up taking place. This is understandable. Whenever you are trying to direct and coordinate the movements of tens of thousands of people and tons of equipment there will be problems. The GI’s in WWII described this situation as a SNAFU (situation normal, all fucked up). One might think that snafu should be followed by an exclamation mark, but this is not the case in regard to its normal usage. Rather than being an exclamation of disgust snafu is simply an acknowledgment of the fact that things are going to be fucked up and you have to deal with it. Another expression from WWII I like describes a messy situation that offers no good options: “We’re up shit creek without a paddle.” War is dirty work by its very nature, and GI’s frequently find themselves up shit creek.

In civilian life we are expected to be more polite than soldiers are. Profane words are considered crude and using them in public is considered disrespectful. The people I train at work rarely fuck up because in the civilian world fucking up means creating a problem that is much greater than what WWII GI’s would call a snafu.

In closing I wish all of my civilian readers a good day and all my readers serving in the military a good fucking day. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are looking forward to the end of our military engagements and the safe return of you brave men and women who are serving us so well.

First published in macsbackporch.fictionforall.com on Jun. 7, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment